Here’s a recipe for scones.
- 12oz self-raising flour
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 3ozs butter
- 1.5ozs sugar
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Quarter pint butter milk
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl and use your fingers to rub in the butter.
2. Add the buttermilk and the beaten egg and mix to from a soft but not too sticky dough
3. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead very lightly
4. Cut into scone shapes and brush some leftover egg mixture so they’ll golden up in the oven.
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes in the middle shelf of the oven at 200c/400F/Gas 6.